Subject: Re: Installing on 5000/120
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@skypoint.com>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@isds.Duke.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/25/1996 09:14:26
Matthew Orgass writes:
 > 2)  network boot the dec and retrieve the files from a PowerMAC
 > running Mach10 (no, I didn't design this network :).  Only problem
 > with this is that I've never booted from a network before, and I
 > definatly don't know how to set up Mach10 for one.  Still, it
 > shouldn't be that different from a normal unix machine.

This seems like the easiest option, assuming that Mach10 can:
a) run bootpd
b) serve files via tftp
c) run rarpd
d) run bootparamd
e) serve filesystems via NFS

If you can verify the Mac can do all of that, I'll be happy to help
you through a diskless boot.  To make it a little easier, I have
diskless kernel that's known to boot 5000/120s and 3100s, a tar'd
version of the miniroot, a preformatted copy of the diskless man page,
and some rudimentary instructions up for anonymous ftp in the
directory ftp://ftp.isds.duke.edu/pub/Users/gallatin/NetBSD/pmax/diskless

Drew