Subject: Re: serial ports/ttys on pmax
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@MIT.EDU>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/14/1996 23:28:31
On 14 Mar 1996, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

>    It might be a question of interrupt latency. The
>    chip can quite happily go along at 57600 or higher. :-)
>
> Yes, but the arithmetic in the driver implies that the input clock
> frequency limits the standard serial chip to 38.4k.

I just checked my latest copy of the sun driver (the M.I. one), and
the math's a bit off. The comments mention being limited to TC=1,
when in fact we can have TC = 0. Also, if the clock is really
4.9 MHz, then the faster baud rates (above 28800 ish) probably
won't work well. Multiples of 9600 will be fine, but not multiples of
14400. A clock rate of 3.68 MHz will yield all of the popular baud
rates up through 57600. 4.9 MHz won't. :-(

Can SunOS set the port to 57600 at all?

Take care,

Bill