Subject: Zilog scc drivers
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/13/1996 00:05:12
>I'm lurking on this list as I know of many DecStations which will be
>needing NetBSD in the future. But I am running NetBSD on my Mac, and have
>worked on the serial drivers for the mac.
>
>All ports which use the z8530 or equivelents (sun, sparc, mac68k, pmax, and
>atari) are currently using drivers based on an origonal sun or sparc driver.
>These drivers are now very solid on the mac; people have gotten ppp to run at
>57600 reliably (thogh I wonder if the cpu will be able to do much else at
>.that point).

>I don't know how fast the pmax ports will run, but the driver and kernel
>ppp support should be sufficiently solid to keep things running.
>
>Take care,

Bill,

I don't think your 2nd paragraph is true.

NetBSD/pmax doesn't yet use the "machine-independent" z8350 driver;
it still has the 4.4bsd/pmax SCC driver, much hacked my cgd and I.
Only ralph & rick would know for sure but the pmax SCC driver bears no
resemblance to any sun driver I've ever seen.

Anyway, I'm driving a Metricom radio "modem" [sic] very happily at 57600
from a 5k/240, and it would run happily at twice the speed if the
damn chip could clock bytes at 115.2, which it can't.  There may
be problems on a slower CPU, unless and until the DMA support
on the IOASIC is used.

Of course, anyone trying to use the DZ11-on-a-chip in Decstation 3100s and
5k/200s for SLIP is going to suffer.  9600 is okay.  The  chip
doesn't actually do 19.2, it does 19.6 or thereabouts, and the "19.2"
mode isn't supported on a 3100.

--Jonathan