Subject: Netbooting kernel on pmax? (I can dream, can't I?)
To: None <bad@wireless.wdc.net>
From: None <bad@wireless.wdc.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/10/1996 06:59:48
I just recently found out about port-pmax. Unfortunately, I only have a
RZ55 (340MB  disk) with Ultrix on it. I don't have the financial
resources to buy another SCSI disk to install NetBSD, so I have to wait
till a netbooteable kernel gets developed before I can proceed (unless
there is someone in the Worcester, MA area that could install a
NetBSD/pmax system on my RZ55?).

Just wondering.....

I know NetBSD/pmax is still in the early development phases. But given
the current timeline:

1. Is devvelopment of a netbootable kernel planned? Any rough (very
rough) ideas of when it may be finished/useable (I am already running
FreeBSD on my 386 and can't wait to throw out Ultrix and install NetBSD
in its place).

2. By (rough guestimate) when could NetBSD/pmax be as stable as Ultrix 4.4?

3. In what form will X-Windows be supported (I assume from Xfree)?

Also, please refer me to an FAQ, if one already exists.

Many thanks.

Bernie Doehner bad@wireless.wdc.net