Subject: Re: new kernel on ftp.dsg.stanford.edu: may boot on 3100
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.STANFORD.EDU>
From: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/09/1996 21:41:49
More than a month ago, Jonathan Stone wrote:

[...]
> I have put a new  kernel on ftp.dsg.stanford.edu.  If someone could
> try this out on a 3100 and let me know how much further it gets than
> the previous kernel, that'd be cool :).

I finally got around to trying this.  First, I installed the miniroot
according to the instructions.  It worked fine, except, on my mono-
chrome DS3100 it only displays every fourth character!  Three blanks,
then a character, then three more blanks and another character... 8-}

Well, I figured the Feb 6 kernel would fix that.  So, working 75%
blind, I fsck'ed the root and re-mounted it, ifconfig'ed the ethernet,
and NFS-mounted the directory with the new kernel (No, it didn't go
as smoothly as that, but I finally sorted it out).  When I boot
the new kernel it spews a lot of debugging info and panics.

It scrolls off the screen pretty quickly, but my guess is the
important messages are something like:

Beginning old-style SCSI device autoconfiguration
rconsattach: 1 raster consoles
panic:  cannot mount root
stacktrace_subr+4c (8012b000,0,ffffffff,f)ra 800ee70c sz 136
stacktrace+18 (8012b000,0,ffffffff,f) ra 800e9400 sz 32
[...  I can give you more after that if it would be helpful. What
comes before scrolls off, so it's harder to catch.]

What can I do to help?

--
Ted Spradley   tsprad@metronet.com
Information tends to drive out knowledge.  [...] many people cannot