Subject: Re: xntpd
To: None <peter@wonderland.org>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/01/1996 12:16:22
> > I'd personally like to see xntp in the NetBSD source tree.
>
> Ditto. timed is (in this day and age of the 'net) a steaming heap
> of donkey droppings. Thanks you for allowing me to say that.

That may be so, I won't debate the beuty of timed.  However, I
note that it has a couple of nice features:

 o last time I checked, timed consumed less resources (memory)
   than xntpd
 o timed can synchronize a set of machines with no outside
   assistance, xntpd in general requires a permanent network
   connection or special hardware for correct synchronization.

Note, I do not claim that timed gives you "correct
synchronization", ie. unless your timed master candidates also
run xntpd.  Yes, you can probably cheat with xntpd as well, but
then the correctness becomes as good (or bad) as a standalon
timed setup (?).

My vote (if there's any voting going on) goes for making xntp a
package.

- Havard