Subject: interval vs external drives
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ed Jones <ejones@sdl.psych.wright.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/25/1996 16:21:47
[[Ed reports problems with external drives]]

Similar problems (with Seagate external drives) have been reported
before.  As best  I can tell, this is a bug in the NetBSD/pmax
scsi driver -- probably in the asc driver.

It seems like the driver doesn't handle drives that answer "too soon",
or something.   This seems to happen only on SCSI-II drives.

The simplest way to tell for sure is to mount the external disk
in your internal box.  That  would eliminate potential cabling problems,
either to the expansion box or within the expansion box.  But since the
external drives run under Ultrix, they're probably OK.

The best fix for this is, I hope, to drop in a more recent version
of the CMU Mach driver for the asc53c94.  Volunteers for that
are _definitely_ solicited.

--Jonathan