Subject: re: interval vs external drives
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG, ejones@sdl.psych.wright.edu>
From: Yoseff francus <francus@yossi.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/25/1996 18:49:21
Boy have I seen this! Bottom line is that the Ultrix CAM driver is much
much more robust than NetBSD's SCSI driver. I have a DS5000/120 with
2 internal rz25's and an external Seagate. It took months until I was
able to boot NetBSD with the external drive on. What I needed to do was
buy:

1. Top of the line SCSI cabling to put into the DS5000
2. Top of the line SCSI cable to connect DS5000 to the expansion box
3. Top of the line SCSI cabling for the expansion box
4. Active SCSI terminator.

Making the Seagate spin-up when it firsts gets a SCSI command also seems
to help.

Some of the time the problem still occurs; however now that I also have
a tape drive connected to the external box and NetBSD seems to boot just
fine. I hope that this problem is dealt with in the next release.

yoseff