Subject: Re: What's broken in NetBSD/pmax ?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/16/1996 07:44:55
> > Is there any nice way to implement the Xws code so that we don't need
> > to modify R6?  That's what I was really asking, and that's something I
> > don't know how to begin doing.
>
> There should be enough information in the X11R6 sources to cobble
> together an Xws interface.   It will require a savvy person with some
> free time to read the code and figure it out, though.

	It appears that all that is missing is about 20 ioctl calls
related to the graphics card.  If netbsd/pmax had those then the
X11R6 Xdec should compile and run just fine.

	I identified all of the ioctl's a while back.  I didn't do
any more with them because at the moment I don't have a DECStation
I can run netbsd/pmax on.  I also don't have any documentation
on any of the graphics cards to work from.

	I do have a question.  What are the legal implications
of figuring out what they do from the Ultrix source code, and then
writing the routines for netbsd/pmax.  Would that result in
non-distributable code?

--
Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org
         System Administrator / Network Technician