Subject: Re: What's broken in NetBSD/pmax ?
To: None <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Scott J. Kolodzieski <scott@dmi.stevens-tech.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/15/1996 09:33:31
Jonathan,

>Ted Lemon may correct me here, but: the PMAG-BA is the so-called SFB.
>There's an SFB driver, and if you put "options MELLON" in the kernel
>config file, then it should just work.  It does break the CFB support,
>though.  I have a putative fix for the RAMDAC driver, to make a single
>kernel work on either an SFB or a CFB.  There's no real use made of
>the accelerator support, since I don't know how it's used!
>
>The person I sent the diff to test never replied.  If you can
>test this, or send me an SFB so I can test it, then the fix
>will get into the kernel tree.

It works fine. I 99.9% of the time work on a CFB machine and just had the
chance last night to move the new kernel to the SFB machine and test it. But
it most certainly does work.

I had to make a small hack to the ddx code in the cfbpmax section of X11R5
to get the right resolution. I now have a Xcfbpmax.cfb and a Xcfbpmax.sfb.

regards,
scott.