Subject: Re: Gee.
To: None <peterb@psc.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/14/1996 10:11:30
On Wed, 14 Feb 1996 07:38:24 -0500
 Peter Berger <peterb@hoopoe.psc.edu> wrote:

 > People (not me) post on the netbsd newsgroups asking for help installing
 > netbsd-pmax.  Response:
 >
 > "Send mail to the mailing list."

This is usually a good response.  I, personally, get hundreds of messages
a day, and quite frankly, don't have much time to read USENET anymore.
When I do, I try to answer the question, and if I can't, I forward the
person who asked it on to someone who might...like the port-pmax mailing
list, for example.

 > People send mail to the mailing list, and are ignored.

I think this is an unfair judgement.  Ignoring you isn't the intent.
Maybe they're just to busy to think about it at the moment?  There are
any number of reasons why a question might go unanswered for a period of
time.

 > I -know- you're volunteers and are not here for our convenience.
 > I appreciate the work you're doing.  But what would be nice is if
 > no one -knows- how to install NetBSD Pmax, and no one -knows- why
 > Arne's latest instructions fail (by the way, thanks Arne -- I
 > do appreciate your giving it a shot!), then -SAY THAT- so that those
 > of us who have been considering netbsd-pmax for use in a production
 > environment can quietly cross it off of our list and go on our way.

There are other resources, too.  Altavista will return matches on
"NetBSD/pmax" ... one of them is the URL to the installation guide that
Jonathan Stone wrote, which is available at:

	http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/pmax/pmax-install.html