Subject: Better installation instructions (was: Gee.)
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gord Matzigkeit <gord@enci.ucalgary.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/14/1996 09:56:07
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Wed_Feb_14_09:56:02_1996-1

--Multipart_Wed_Feb_14_09:56:02_1996-1

Hi!

PB> People (not me) post on the netbsd newsgroups asking for help
PB> installing netbsd-pmax.  Response:

PB> "Send mail to the mailing list."

PB> People send mail to the mailing list, and are ignored.

PB> I -know- you're volunteers and are not here for our convenience.
PB> I appreciate the work you're doing.  But what would be nice is if
PB> no one -knows- how to install NetBSD Pmax, and no one -knows- why
PB> Arne's latest instructions fail (by the way, thanks Arne -- I do
PB> appreciate your giving it a shot!), then -SAY THAT- so that those
PB> of us who have been considering netbsd-pmax for use in a
PB> production environment can quietly cross it off of our list and go
PB> on our way.

[NetBSD/pmax is still not production quality, in any event, but I'm
hoping it will be soon.]

I can barely remember how I did it now (I did take notes, but they're
at home), since I only needed to do it once.  That's why I haven't
posted.  It was very frustrating to get the first cross-OS
installation to work, but I haven't needed to do it since then.

Part of the problem is that I'm scared of the cross-OS installation,
and I've been avoiding repeating it for verification purposes, because
I already have lots of (too much) work to do on my running NetBSD
boxes.

The easiest installation is:

"Get a friend who is running NetBSD/pmax to disklabel and copy his
installation to your disk."

In the absence of such, I got a Storage Expansion SCSI disk that I
could trash, and hooked it up to a working Ultrix box.  Then I used
the Ultrix disklabel that Arne and Jonathan have pointed to.

This is an important note: the disklabel program SEGVs for every flag
except the -R (The one that restores a disklabel) ones.

Where do Arne's instructions fail?  They seemed to be OK to me.  Do
they lack detail for a critical step, and/or what error
messages/symptoms do you get?

I hope I can help... too bad I may be out of my NetBSD-related job due
to lack of funding. :(

--Gord

--Multipart_Wed_Feb_14_09:56:02_1996-1

   Gord Matzigkeit    | Jaques Cousteau loved programming in assembler.
gord@enci.ucalgary.ca |  PGP mail preferred... finger -l me for my key.
Keyprint: D5 66 08 E0 4D F4 D7 7B 8A C8 8A 9C 7F 39 25 A7 - ID 339ABEB9