Subject: X server [answer]
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@lix.polytechnique.fr>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/14/1996 10:21:37
Manuel Bouyer writes:

>Does someone have any success runing an X server on NetBSD/pmax ?
>i've tried an X11R5 Ultrix binary. The server seems to start, but nothing
>happens on console.
>Does NetBSD uses the same interface as Ultrix for the framebuffer ?
>Do i need to make other entry in /dev/, other than /dev/mouse ?

>I think i'll try to compile an X11R6 server for NetBSD.

Hi,

Yes, I have success ;-).  I'm  using Arne Juul's X11R5 server.
An Ultrix X server binary won't work on NetBSD/pmax, unless
it's a binary compiled for Ultrix 4.1.

Ultrix changed the user-kernel interface to the frame buffer in
Ultrix 4.2.  Ultrix 4.2 (and later) servers, including the X
Consortium X11R6 server, use an interface called "Xws".   NetBSD
doesn't implement that interface, so Ultrix X servers don't
run on NetBSD/pmax.

IIRC,  Ted Lemon told me at one point that the Xws interface is
not  completely documented, or at least not enough to write
an implementation just from the documentation.
If someone has time to read the Xserver ddx code for Ultrix,
figure out what the X-server needs from Xws, and implements
that for the NetBSD/pmax kernel, that'd be *great*.  I suspect
I'll never find the time to do that, myself.

An Ultrix xdm binary works just *fine*, as long as you have
COMPAT_ULTRIX in your kernel, and you provide all the pathnames
compiled into xdm (e.g,. /lib/cpp).  I use an Ultrix xdm binary
here; I could supply the xdm-config file, if that would be useful.

--Jonathan