Subject: Re: Gee.
To: None <peterb@psc.edu>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/14/1996 08:18:30
Peter Berger <peterb@hoopoe.psc.edu>  wrote:
 > People (not me) post on the netbsd newsgroups asking for help installing
 > netbsd-pmax.  Response:

For one, I can tell you I haven't read a lick of news in over a year. I
know that a lot of the developers here fall into the same boat...

Funny thing is, I don't even miss it. It's getting to the point where 500
mail messages a day is the norm even after trimming my subscriptions to
the ones that I find are most necessary for the things I do...

 > Those of ous who are considering NetBSD-pmax aren't, generally,
 > novices.  We don't need a tcl/tk/X based installer which guides
 > us gently through fields of flowers.  We're NOT AFRAID of
 > disklabeling, newfsing, or otherwise getting our hands dirty.
 > But having an installation which is at least POSSIBLE from an
 > Ultrix environment is as important to the NetBSD-pmax team
 > as it is to the potential users.  If a user can't install
 > NetBSD-pmax, all the user loses is an extremely optional
 > OS.  But the NetBSD-pmax team loses more -- that is, potentially valuable
 > contributors of time and energy.

I guess the best I would say at this point is that since there hasn't
actually been a formal release of NetBSD/pmax, that it's still in "beta"..

Keeping in mind I'm not a pmax developer nor do I represent NetBSD so
my statements should at best, be considered mindless drivel...