Subject: Gee.
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Berger <peterb@hoopoe.psc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/14/1996 07:38:24
Warning:  venting ahead.

People (not me) post on the netbsd newsgroups asking for help installing
netbsd-pmax.  Response:

"Send mail to the mailing list."

People send mail to the mailing list, and are ignored.

I -know- you're volunteers and are not here for our convenience.
I appreciate the work you're doing.  But what would be nice is if
no one -knows- how to install NetBSD Pmax, and no one -knows- why
Arne's latest instructions fail (by the way, thanks Arne -- I
do appreciate your giving it a shot!), then -SAY THAT- so that those
of us who have been considering netbsd-pmax for use in a production
environment can quietly cross it off of our list and go on our way.

Those of ous who are considering NetBSD-pmax aren't, generally,
novices.  We don't need a tcl/tk/X based installer which guides
us gently through fields of flowers.  We're NOT AFRAID of
disklabeling, newfsing, or otherwise getting our hands dirty.
But having an installation which is at least POSSIBLE from an
Ultrix environment is as important to the NetBSD-pmax team
as it is to the potential users.  If a user can't install
NetBSD-pmax, all the user loses is an extremely optional
OS.  But the NetBSD-pmax team loses more -- that is, potentially valuable
contributors of time and energy.

Thanks for listening.

Peter Berger
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center