Subject: Re: Recent kernel (3100) needed
To: None <cactus@hks.net, port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ben Cottrell <benco@ucsee.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/14/1996 21:59:29
> Does anybody have a recent (post-ethernet fix) either rz0-booting or
> generic kernel they could put up for ftp or ftp to me (ftp.hks.net:/incoming)?

I do--but it has the framebuffer bug so that all blacks appear as whites.
I'm connected to the net at 2400 bps right now and uploading would be
painful, so I don't want to do that unless you're sure you can put up with
the fb bug--in which case I'd be happy to.

*My* question though, is: The 1.1-supplied generic kernel didn't have
the ethernet fix, but the colors worked great. *any* kernel I compile
myself, be it -current or 1.1 sources, ethernet fixed or not, has the
color bug. Why?? It's driving me insane :-(

Also, for varying reasons I haven't been able to get the last few
weeks of -current to compile correctly. I realize this is normal
behavior for bits du jour, but I'm wondering if perhaps it's as
simple as me not having the latest gcc or header files or something.

I have a 3100, running 1.1 binaries and a kernel compiled from
-current around the time of the first news of the Ethernet fix, with the
Ethernet fix in place.

To summarize, has anyone:
	* Managed to compile a kernel with Ethernet fixed *and* with
	  the colors working fine? How?
	* Managed to compile a -current kernel at all?

Thanks a bunch!
	-Ben