Subject: sfb configuration
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/11/1996 10:45:58
>From: "Scott J. Kolodzieski" <scott@dmi.stevens-tech.edu>

>I tried out a sfb PMAGB-B and the raster console runs fine, but X looks
>like it is trying to write interlaced or something funny. Since the raster
>console works, I guess X should also, do I need a /dev/sfb0? and where do
>I locate the major/minor numbers?

hi,

The major/minor number convention is fairly simple.  All framebuffer
devices are attached to the "fb" `pseudo-device' driver, in the order
that autoconfig finds them.   The first framebuffer is /dev/f0, the
second is /dev/fb1, a third would be /dev/fb2.  You don't say if the
SFB is instead of, or as well as, the cfb. If it's instead, the
cfb will be fb0. If it's as well, it depends which order you put them
in the bus, and/or the kernel config file.

I've never actually had an SFB to run X on, but AFAIK: X11R6 for
DECstations uses the Ultrix xws interface.  The Xws inteface lets the
kernel device-driver leak geometry information to the Xserver, so a
single Xserver configuration can work with all framebuffers.

NetBSD/pmax and X11R5 (or is it R4? and Ultrix 4.1 don't have the Xws
interface.   One needs (or used to need) a separate Xserver binary
for 3100 mono displays, and for the 3100 `pmaxcfb' or the PMAG-B.

You will need either an X server binary compiled for the sfb, or
possibly, to change the command-line arguments.