Subject: RE: Included program DEVGETGEOMST
To: None <johnh@david.wheaton.edu, tbrinck@isc.sjsu.edu>
From: Arne H. Juul <arnej@pvv.unit.no>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/06/1996 03:08:45
 Toby:
 > I believe I understand enough of the syntax of the program that Arne
 > included with his installation notes to know what it does.  The problem I
 > have is compiling the sucker.  Are there any special switches I need to
 > give the compiler, and is it 'cc' that I use?

Should compile without any special problems.

 John:
 > My problem is that after I do all the stuff specified in the instructions
 > when I attempt:
 > it waits for a while then comes back with an error about bad path.

I begin to suspect that the reason you're having problems I didn't have
is that I was *reinstalling* on a drive which already had some NetBSD
things on it.  I guess I should have fileed it with zeroes first then
ultrix-partitioned it.  I'll see if I can arrange it.

 > It appears that I don't have the boot blocks correct.

You can try writing the bootblocks both with the 'normal' disklabel
and the 'swapped' disklabel, that might help.  Another possibility is
to dd the miniroot to disk both at the start of the disk and in the
middle of it.

 > I did have a question about "swaping the a and d" partitions.
 > Should this be:
 > a    ....                   start of miniroot
 > d    ....                   0 (start of disk)
 > or:
 > d    ....                   0 (start of disk)
 > a    ....                   start of miniroot

I'm not quite sure what you meant to ask here.
Run just  ./disklabel rz2  to see the 'canonical form' after installing
a label.

 > I also have a problem with the math in that in the above example:
 >
 > 62*9*1476 = 823608 not the 832527 reported by the disksize.c program.

Yup, even old SCSI disks do zoning, so in general you can expect the
total number of blocks to be bigger than the reported sec*trk*cyl.
If you want to use all of the disk, lie to NetBSD disklabel by telling
it that the disk has more cylinders than it actually has, then just
make sure your last partition (and the c partition) goes just right to
the end of the disk. It's generally not very many blocks so maybe you
shouldn't bother, though...

  -  Arne H. J.