Subject: Re: boot blocks
To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/28/1995 13:10:47
Hm.   If you want to make it bootable, you may be in trouble.   By
blowing away block zero, you've zapped the on-disk copy of the
partition table, and also the boot block size information.   You may
be able to get away with copying the bootblocks out and using chpt to
write the in-core partition table.   I can't really make any promises,
though.   I can't remember for sure, but I think /usr/mdec/bootblks is
meant to be placed on the disk starting at sector 1, not sector 0.
So you would do ``dd if=/usr/mdec/bootblks of=/dev/rrz0c seek=1''.   I
make no promises, though - I'd say you have about a 2% chance of
success.   :'(

			       _MelloN_