Subject: Re: partioning of DEC RZ56
To: Toby S Brinck <tbrinck@isc.sjsu.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/21/1995 17:40:34
>thank you guys for the new miniroot (the one +gzip+tar.).

thanks to Arne.

> I do have one other question, though.  Do I have to use 6 or so
>partions on a 500 MB hard drive?  Can't I use just two or three, a root, usr, an
>d swap?  If

Yes, you can.  By convention, swap should be the "b" partition.
A root partition should be about 16 Mbytes. I find that's just
enough for a standard root distribution and three, maybe four kernels.

The next (b) partition is swap.  I use at least as much swap
as physical memory, which for me means 64Mbytes. I've found that
enough for one or two users.  Since we don't yet have shared
libraries, you probably want at least as much swap space as you
had allocated for Ultrix.

I usually use a /var partition and symlink /tmp to /var/tmp,
and have a partition that's about 8 Mbytes for /var.

If you want /tmp/ to be in your root partition, then  you want
a root partition that's at least at least 24, and more likely 32 Mbytes.

If you don't want any more partitions (e.g., for an NFS server for
other clients), then you can have one big /usr, which is the rest
of the disk.  D, E, or F are good choices.

>this is true, can someone tell me where I can get information about how
>to correctly partion an RZ56 correctly.  I have a feeling it is going to
>be as hard to do as Ultrix was.

See above for a rough estimate of how big to make the partitions.
To actually write or edit the disk labels,  see disklabel (8).

Oh, yes.  Once you've booted NetBSD (e.g, from a miniroot),
you *should* be to mount an Ultrix filesystem read-*only*.
Use 'mount -r special pathname'.     If this doesn't work, please
e-mail me.   (There should be code in the kernel to read Ultrix
disklabels as well, so you don't need to re-label the disk first.)

If that doesn't work, we should update the kernel in the miniroot.

I also have uncommitted changes that let the Ultrix mount(8) command
work under NetBSD, to mount NetBSD (or ultrix, read-only) filesystems.

Would those be useful?