Subject: Re: unpacking the full system.
To: Toby S Brinck <tbrinck@isc.sjsu.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/20/1995 16:30:16
In message <Pine.SOL.3.91.951220094706.18636A-100000@athens>Toby S Brinck write
>hey...
>
>	I am, I guess, in the middle of the installation of NetBSD on five
>3100's.  The problem I am having is, in the installation instructions I
>downloaded from the web site, the last step says to unpack the full set
>of binaries (base.tar.gz, games.tar.gz. etc.) the only thing is though is
>that the miniroot does not have gnuzip or tar.

I don't know how or why this happened. The old NetBSD-1.0a miniroots
I made all had gunzip and tar on them. We should make a new miniroot
that does have gunzip and tar.

(Arne, could you do that? Or shall I hack your existing miniroot?
 I'm not sure where the most current tools to build a pmax miniroot are.)

> 	My biggest problem is that NetBSD is nothing like the Linux I am
>used to, mainly in the use of the mount command.  Seeing as how I was
>able to unzip and untar the base.tar.gz pack onto a Ultrix rz56.  How do
>I mount that drive using the miniroot, either nfs but preferly locally,
>and the mount_ffs command, I have no idea what the syntax is?

The simplest way to invoke "mount_ffs" is via "mount -t ffs".
The man page for mount describes the options. It's close enough
to the 4.3bsd-ish mount  that comes  with the vendor OS for DECstations
(Ultrix) that this hasn't been a problem.  One obvious change, though,
is that the acronym for the 4bsd Fast FileSystem has changed from "ufs"
to "ffs".

Though maybe the problem is the internal codes that mount passes
to the kernel.  These changed relatively close to the NetBSD 1.1
release.  Perhaps the miniroot has the old mount binaries, and
a new kernel?   (I haven't even got a copy of a 1.1/pmax miniroot.)