Subject: Re: progress thus far...
To: None <gord@enci.ucalgary.ca>
From: Arne H. Juul <arnej@pvv.unit.no>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/10/1995 23:11:00
 > So far, it's been this:
 >
 > 1) Install Ultrix on one disk, boot with Ultrix.
 >
 > 2) Use Ultrix to disklabel and dump the miniroot on the second disk.
 >
 > 3) Boot NetBSD from the second disk, get the machine networked, and
 > relabel, newfs, and install NetBSD on the first disk.

It should be possible to do this without overwriting your first disk at
all.  If you're willing to do the work it out and write down the details
a lot of people would be grateful.  I think it could work like this:

>From ultrix, disklabel second disk like you want to actually use it,
with root (a), swap (b), and usr (h), and boot blocks.  You may need
to put miniroot into first partition to be able to boot.

Then switch around the partition names so root is h and usr is a, and
dump the miniroot into the new a partition before booting it up.
Now you can newfs the "h" partition and copy the miniroot files into it.

Reboot ultrix, use ultrix disklabel to swap arond the partition letters
so you get things back to normal. Boot NetBSD from the new correctly-sized
root partition.

 > Here are my problems:
 >
 > I had to do a lot of hacking to merge the latest binutils+gcc snapshot
 > from ftp.unit.no and the ones from comp.tar.gz on ftp.unit.no.
 > I think I have a working ELF compiler suite now, but it took work.

Hmf.  It *should* have been a simple 'unpack the tar files', but
of course I haven't tried that myself.  Could you be more specific
about what you had to do?

 > /bin/ps doesn't work under any circumstances:
 >
 > b04$ ps
 > ps: proc size mismatch (4648 total, 656 chunks)
 > b04$

Sounds like a include files/kernel/libkvm version mismatch.

 > In a flash of inspiration, I tried mounting /proc with the following
 > line in /etc/fstab:
 >
 > none		/proc	procfs	rw	0 0
 >
 > but, all I get is "operation not supported by device".

I don't think procfs is in the kernel, sure sounds like it.

 > Thinking that my kernel (the one from gregorio's miniroot) was out of
 > date, I tried recompiling the latest one (from sup to sup.netbsd.org).
 >
 > When I booted the latest kernel (took a little hacking, because
 > comp.tar.gz contained a broken /usr/bin/lorder), it won't mount
 > /dev/rz0d as my /usr partition.... says something about "/dev/rz0d:
 > operation not supported by device".
 >
 > What should I do at this point?  Are the .tar.gz packages on
 > ftp.unit.no the most recent binary snapshots?  If not, where can I get
 > new ones to install?

I'll try to get new .tar.gz packages out tonight, if you want to
test them.

 > (Also, will 1.1 be the first official release of NetBSD/pmax?)

Well, there probably still won't be an official installation procedure,
but there *will* be official .tar.gz files, for whatever that is worth.

 > FYI, I have been hired to install NetBSD on 50 3MINs, so getting a
 > full system on an external SCSI disk is my first step.  Then, I'll
 > just hook up the disk to each machine at a time, boot NetBSD from that
 > disk, and use it to copy and install NetBSD on the internal hard
 > drives.
 >
 > I hope that in the process I'll be able to contribute to the
 > NetBSD/pmax project.

I hope so too!

  - Arne H. J.