Subject: Re: Configuring kernels
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Jeremy C. McDermond <mcdermj@PEAK.ORG>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/18/1995 17:21:59
>>Yeah - I've done a lot of this so it compiles at least, I plan on doing some
>>send-pr's for them as soon as I can verify that they work, and seeing if I
>>can get a PMAX kernel definition into the tree.
>
>I'd like to see the changes and associated config file.

I'll try and get them together tonight sometime, I don't garantee that they
are ncessarily the "correct" way to do things, or that they even work
once compiled (I think they do - they don't do anything incredibly
intricate, the only questions I have are in conf-glue.c)  The stuff I
have now, boots into singld-user mode, from what I can pretend to see,
but, when it tries to go multi, it fails miserably, and I can't see the
console to see what's going wrong with it.

>I would advocate against creating a config file called
>arch/pmax/conf/PMAX.  I really don't like the way the name "pmax" is
>overloaded, meaning both the NetBSD/pmax (Decstation/Decsystem) port,
>and a specific model of DECstation. Having a kernel config called
>"PMAX" just makes that worse, IMHO.

The name isn't really important, we can pretty easily name it something
else, but I *definately* see your point about the PMAX name.  Nonethless
it would still be useful to have a "Bare Bones" config for the 2100/3100
it's not like they change a lot from machine to machine 8-).

Jeremy C. McDermond				mcdermj@Peak.ORG
Technical Analyst				mcdermj@Xenotropic.COM
Willamette Industries,Inc. 			#include <Standard Disclaimer>