Subject: Re: Configuring kernels
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/18/1995 21:04:14
> I would advocate against creating a config file called
> arch/pmax/conf/PMAX.  I really don't like the way the name "pmax" is
> overloaded, meaning both the NetBSD/pmax (Decstation/Decsystem) port,
> and a specific model of DECstation. Having a kernel config called
> "PMAX" just makes that worse, IMHO.

arguably, the DECstation port of NetBSD should have two parts:
	a "mips" (or perhaps "little-endian mips") part, say, named
	    "mips", and
	the DECstation-specific part, perhaps named decmips.

Similarly, the Alpha code should be split into alpha and decalpha...

would help people who are doing ports to other systems based on those
chips.  (I know of several groups doing alpha work on 'weird' non-dec
hardware...)

i doubt such a split will happen though, as it's not as easy as it
sounds to get right.  8-)

chris