Subject: Re: strip for elf bins...
To: Scott J. Kolodzieski <scott@dmi.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Per Fogelstrom <pefo@enea.se>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/19/1995 21:52:14
> gcc produces the following message,
>
> /usr/mips-dec-netbsd/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol __start
> 	defaulting to 0040080
>
> The resulting executables seem to run though.
>

> Also, the strip in the binutils, works on some executables, but fails on
> others. At least now when it fails it complains that:
>
> 	not enough room for program headers (alocated 1, need 2)
>
> and does not change the original file.

There seems to be two strategys for elf binaries right now. The 'mips ecoff'
variant that loads text at 0x400000 and data at 0x10000000, and the i belive
cygnys 'a.out' variant with text at 0x1000 and data aligned to the next
page. Strip fails badly on the 'a.out' variant, but works on the 'ecoff'.

I started to try to find out but gave up and started to use the 'ecoff' load
map instead.