Subject: Re: strip for elf bins...
To: None <scott@dmi.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Arne H. Juul <arnej@pvv.unit.no>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/19/1995 21:09:47
 > gcc produces the following message,
 >
 > /usr/mips-dec-netbsd/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol __start
 > 	defaulting to 0040080
 >
 > The resulting executables seem to run though.

Ah yes, you probably only need to update crt0.o (in /usr/src/lib/csu/mips).
The latest sources should give you __start, if I'm not mistaken.
You could also edit the /usr/lib/gcc-lib/mips-dec-netbsd/2.7.0/specs file.

 > Also, the strip in the binutils, works on some executables, but fails on
 > others. At least now when it fails it complains that:
 >
 > 	not enough room for program headers (alocated 1, need 2)
 >
 > and does not change the original file.

Hm, I haven't seen this. Which executables does this happen on?
It may be related to my quick-and-dirty elf.c patch.

  -  Arne H. J.