Subject: Re: /dev/pm0 -> ???
To: Arne H. Juul <arnej@pvv.unit.no>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/17/1995 16:38:33
In message <9509172230.AA15113@datter.pvv.unit.no>"Arne H. Juul" writes
>    I downloaded the ss-95.09.12 netbsd kernel from gregorio, and
>it worked - with 57x80 raster console.   Worked sorta-OK with
>TERM=sun and stty rows 57 cols 80, actually.

"vt100" mostly works, also. I'd like to fix rcons such that
"stty size" says the right thing, too.

>    However, the question now is what device should be used for X.
>Earlier I used /dev/pm0 (symlink /dev/mouse -> pm0), but that device
>no longer exists.  Does any of the new devices support the same
>ioctl/mmap etc interface as pm0 did? If not, is this planned?  I would
>have guessed /dev/fb0 would be the natural choice, but I couldn't get
>it to work - I'll probably try again a bit harder next weekend.

The old framebuffer interfaces (pm0, cfb0, mfb0, sfb0) don't
do anything anymore. They don't even get redirected to the
fb pseudo-device user-level I/) handler; in retrospect I don't
see any good reason not to do this, at least for short-term
backwards compatibiity.

But using fb0 works for me.  Did you mknod it appropriately?

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3 Jan  1 16:00 /dev/mouse -> fb0
crw-rw-r--  1 root  wheel   86,   0 Sep 10 14:03 /dev/fb0

--Jonathan

PS:  the colourmap entries aren't set properly in the sup'able
source. I get a gorgeous  background, somewhere between mauve
and magenta ...