Subject: Re: strip for elf bins...
To: None <mellon@fugue.com, scott@dmi.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Arne H. Juul <arnej@pvv.unit.no>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/16/1995 23:48:46
I wrote:
 > I'll try to get my compile of the latest gas+binutils snapshot
 > up for anonymous FTP tonight.  It does include a working strip.

This is now available for anonymous FTP at
	ftp.unit.no:/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/binutils/
If you just want strip, you can get just usr/bin/strip.real
and usr/bin/strip. If you want the whole suite, get
mips-dec-netbsd.binutils.tar.gz, or you can get
950909.diff if you want to be adventurous and compile
from the Cygnus binutils snapshots.

The reason why I needed a shell script wrapper for strip is this:
NetBSD's install program assumes that strip performs its work in-place,
fiddling some small bits in the header and truncating the debugging
symbol table.  GNU strip writes to a temporary file, removes the
original and then rename()s the temporary back.  This makes
mode and ownerships end up wrong.

I feel pretty sure these utilities should work well for compiling
NetBSD/pmax, including kernel.  I'll try to get my latest compile
of gcc-2.7.0 up for FTP too.

Note that the transatlantic link from here to USA is currently
broken, so it will take probably take you quite some time to
fetch things from here. (Typical speed is 1kb/s). If somebody
could mirror things in the US, it would probably be good.

I would very much like to hear about any problems you have with
these binaries.

  -  Arne H. J.