Subject: Problems with newconf kernel (fwd)
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jfch@jfch.vc.cvut.cz>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/12/1995 07:15:34

> 5)  After these changes, the kernel compiles, and starts to boot, but
>     gets hosed pretty early on.  I've got a 5000/240 using a serial
>     console with 64M of memory, and booting off an RZ26 at rz0.  Here's
>     a cut-and-paste of the system coming up:
>
> ] >>boot 3/rz0/netbsd
> ] Boot: 3/rz0/netbsd
> ] Size: 852032+37216+86960
> ] Starting at 0x80030000
> ]
> ] Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
> ]         The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
> ]
> ] NetBSD 1.0A (NEWCONF) #2: Tue Aug 15 12:42:51 EST 1995
> ]     simonb@mona:/usr/src/sys/arch/pmax/compile/NEWCONF
> ] real mem = 67108864
> ] avail mem = 57552896
> ] using 1638 buffers containing 6709248 bytes of memory
> ] mainbus0 (root)
> ] tc0 at mainbus0
> ] asic0 at tc0 slot 3 offset 0x0
> ] le0 at asic0 offset 0xc0000: ethernet address 08:00:2b:33:ee:92
> ] scc0 at asic0 offset 0x100000
> ] scc1 at asic0 offset 0x18000ø
>
> It gets stuck right after the funny character at the end of "0x18000".
> I remember Jonathan saying that this kernel worked on a /240, but
> that /240 had a cfb.  Unfortunately, I don't have one spare at the
> moment to test my kernel with a cfb...
>
> I'm guessing that as soon as the serial driver is set up, the console
> output is switched from the PROM driver to the kernel driver?  I've
> never had a working serial driver on the /240 - maybe this is a
> carryover from those problems.

This driver worked a little about valentine snapshot, not before, not after.
In other cases was all input doubled in single user mode. I multiuser mode
it newer have worked.

I have the same problems without chance to get own cfb, can anyone
help please? I will be satisfied, if kernel will not hung, no matter
of console usability.

|                 ing. Jan F. Chadima           | The Master of Didus Ineptus.|
|       Zikova 4        |        Korycanska 367 | tel: 42-2-24352997 (office) |
|160 00 Praha 6 Dejvice | 181 00 Praha 8 Cimice | Email: jfch@vc.cvut.cz      |
|       CZECH REPUBLIC  |        CZECH REPUBLIC |                             |