Subject: Re: X11R5/R6 on a CX tc card.
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Marc Evans <marc@destek.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/30/1995 22:07:54
> On Aug 30,  4:00pm, "Scott J. Kolodzieski" wrote:
>
> > 1. With all this talking of X and frame buffers, does X11R5 or X11R6 build
> > cleanly for the CX cfb card?
>
> Last time I built X, both the cfb and sfb worked ok.  The sfb was
> just used in cfb mode, so the xbench results for it were a little
> disappointing :-(
>
> On this note, does anyone know how to drive the sfb properly?
> There's a WRL paper that describes the chip, but in not nearly
> enough detail to actually do anything.  Ultrix has an include file
> ( /usr/include/mips/io/ws/sfbregs.h ) that looks helpful...  It
> certainly would be great to have the sfb going full steam, without
> having to use DEC's X server...

Yeah, I've hacked on the code in DEC's products before, and also know of the
TGA spec which is basically what is needed to get the job done... Now if I
only can manage to make enough time available to do the task... If anyone else
wants a crack at it, I can probably provide a legit TGA spec. E-Mail me
directly. Then again, maybe Joel is reading this list and wants to crank it
out himself ;-)

- Marc
Marc Evans                            WB1GRH      The Destek Group, Inc.
E-Mail: Marc@Destek.NET                           21 Hinds Lane, Suite 23L
MIME-1.0 & Enriched-Text mail accepted            603 635 3857 (V) 635 7314 (F)
PGP-2.6 key available upon request                Internet Access & Services
PGP-2.6 Fingerprint:  20 7C A2 DB 17 B2 21 80  47 AA B9 CD D9 DE 31 CC
       The XFree86[tm] Project, Inc. Industry Liason <Marc@XFree86.Org>