Subject: Re: X11R5/R6 on a CX tc card.
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/30/1995 22:15:36
> On this note, does anyone know how to drive the sfb properly?
> There's a WRL paper that describes the chip, but in not nearly
> enough detail to actually do anything.  Ultrix has an include file
> ( /usr/include/mips/io/ws/sfbregs.h ) that looks helpful...  It
> certainly would be great to have the sfb going full steam, without
> having to use DEC's X server...

The register descriptions, etc., for at least some of the SFB models,
can be found in the ``DEC 3000 300/400/500/600/700/800/900 AXP Models
System Programmer's Manual.''  It doesn't go into much detail about
what to do with the registers though.

However, the ``DECchip 21030 PCI Graphics Accelerator'' describes the
TGA chip, which is a next-generation SFB, and from the looks of it
most of the descriptions on how to use the registers would apply.

The former manual is reasonably expensive.  There's probably a similar
(expensive) manual for PMAXen.  SFB boards.  (The DEC 3000 SPM
actually describes the on-board versions for various Alpha systems.)

The latter manual is free from DEC, and the postscript is also
available from my "Alpha Documentation" page on the NetBSD WWW server.
There might be a similar manual for the TC SFBs.

FWIW, i'm pretty sure that DEC also makes TGA-based TC boards...

chris