Subject: still cannot produce a working miniroot
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott J. Kolodzieski <scott@dmi.stevens-tech.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/29/1995 09:47:26
Hello,

I have managed to produce a miniroot on an DEC rz23, but when I boot, I
get a filesystem full of the basic executable that behave according to the
phase of the moon. Fopr example "ls" may work 2 time, then bus error, it may
or may not work with the "-l" switch, mount sometime works, as do all the
other executables? It seems as if I am doing something really wrong in making
this miniroot.

I got some suggestions, but non seem to work. Let me describe the process
that I go through, and see if anyone can point out my incompetence!

I got the ultrix version of disklabel and attach the rz23 to a working
500/240 running ultrix 4.3, coppied rzboot and bootrz to /usr/mdec,
labeled the disk via the command:

disklabel -R -B -b /usr/mdec/rzboot -s /usr/mdec/bootrz /dev/rz5c Proto

where Proto is a file in the current directory that looks like,