Subject: Pmax kernel changed to use ``new'' config
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/09/1995 22:40:14
The NetBSD/pmax kernel source has been converted from using
"config.old" configuration files and boot-time autoconfiguration, to
using new-style config (also known as "config") and new-style
autoconfiguration code.

Old kernels configured with config.old will no longer compile or boot,
once you sup the updated files (or obtain them by other means.)

The configuration file "NEWCONF" is a skeleton for a GENERIC
configuration for a new-style kernel.  I've tested a kernel
built using essentially the following

	cd /sys/pmax/conf
	config NEWCONF
	cd ../compile/NEWCONF
	make

and the resulting kernel boots cleanly on a Decstation 5000/200, a
5000/240.  Both machines had a cfb framebuffer. A slightly older
kernel booted cleanly on a 3100.

I haven't been able to test a new kernel on a 5000/xx (MAXINE) or on a
5000/1xx (3MIN).  The new kernel is likely to "just work" on a 3MIN.
I don't know about the MAXINE.  I'd appreciate hearing reports from
anyone who can try a new kernel on either machine.  I'd also
appreciate reports from anyone using  MFB or SFB framebuffers.

If necessary I can make a bootable kernel available for anonymous FTP.

Now that the pmax kernel uses config.new, it should be relatively
straightforward to use drivers derived from, or shared with, cgd's
Alpha drivers.