Subject: Re: More newbie questions
To: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@iastate.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/01/1995 14:15:53
>How much physical memory on say a 16mb machine would end up being used
>by the kernel under each of NetBSD and Ultrix? I just looked at the
>kernel on one of the Project Vincent servers (which probably have
>loads of drivers that aren't needed for our applications) and it
>weighs in at ~5.6M.

If that's just an ls -l /vmunix, it doesn't say much about physical
memory use.  Vincent machines around ISU use about 10M or so just for the
kernel once loaded into memory, and more depending on things like graphics
adapters and such.  The PXG Turbo I once used chopped another 8M or so from
the top.

--Michael