Subject: Status report on X servers on DS5000/120 w/ MX
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Helge MEINHARD, Chorus, CERN-ECP <meinhard@afsmail.cern.ch>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/21/1995 17:14:09
I took the changes Jonathan told me to apply to
/sys/arch/pmax/pmax/conf.c, built a new kernel, tried the Xmfbpmax binary
from Arne and... got a few sub-stamp-sized 'icons' of the expected X
display onto my screen. I then tried, as was pointed out several times in
this list, the Xcfbpmax, which seems to really work fine... really a good
thing! Thanks again to all who have helped me get that far.

The annoying feature of this solution is that the server gets recognized
as a color display (xrdb -symbols reports, among other things,
-DPLANES=8 -DBITS_PER_RGB=8 -DCLASS=PseudoColor -DCOLOR). Hence, all
#ifdef COLOR etc. in the .Xresources or .Xdefaults aren't really useful
any more. Is there any way to tell the server to report that it is a
monochrome one (I would even consider re-compiling it from the patched
MIT sources if there was no other way)?

Helge