Subject: X11R5 server doesn't start on DS 5000/120
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Helge MEINHARD, Chorus, CERN-ECP <meinhard@afsmail.cern.ch>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/19/1995 18:42:59
Hi,

I've now copied the X11R5 distribution for NetBSD-pmax over from
ftp://ftp.unit.no/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/X11R5/ver-5.26, and I've tried to
start the X server directly, issuing an XDMCP request to another host
(which I know is configured correctly to accept XDMCP connections):

/store/bin/Xmfbpmax :0 -query some-xdm-serving-host
couldn't open pm

Fatal server error:
no screens found

The 5000/120 is equipped with a monochrome 1-bit TurboChannel graphics
adapter and a monochrome screen. When booting from the GENERIC-pmax
kernel, after reporting on the cache, the display is identified as

mfb0 (mono display)

Using cat, I can't really tell which devices are present; the message
looks the same for all devices:

# cat /dev/mfb0
cat: /dev/mfb0: Operation not supported by device
# cat /dev/pm0
cat: /dev/pm0: Operation not supported by device
# cat /dev/cfb0
cat: /dev/cfb0: Operation not supported by device
# cat /dev/xcfb0
cat: /dev/xcfb0: Operation not supported by device

Any idea?

Helge