Subject: Re: Building kernel GENERIC.pmax: problem compiling machdep.c
To: Helge MEINHARD, Chorus, CERN-ECP <meinhard@afsmail.cern.ch>
From: Jeremy C. McDermond <mcdermj@PEAK.ORG>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/17/1995 06:09:08
>I tried to rebuild a kernel from the configuration file GENERIC.pmax,
>which I copied together with all the other /sys stuff from
>/afs/iastate.edu/public/ftp/pub/netbsd/NetBSD-current/src/src/sys the
>other day. The compilation of machdep.c (1.30 1995/05/12 23:27:27
>jonathan Exp) failed in line 545 with the error message "Invalid operands
>to binary >>" in function mach_init. The source code line looks
>
>        physmem = btoc(v - KERNBASE);
>
>which the preprocessor expands to
>
>        physmem = ((( v - 0x80000000 ) + (4096 -1) ) >> 12 ) ;
>
>Any idea what's wrong there?

I had this same problem - I updated my /usr/include/machine/param.h to
the latest version and this seemed to clear it up.  Still haven't gotten
a kernel to compile (Have to find the version of NM that groks pmax objects
correctly - been massochistic enough to not wanna download that whole chunk
of base.tar.gz)

>Helge

Jeremy C. McDermond				mcdermj@CSOS.ORST.EDU
Technical Analyst				jeremy@XENOTROPIC.COM
Willamette Industries,Inc. 			#include <Standard Disclaimer>