Subject: Kernel, or instructions how to build one, needed
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Helge MEINHARD, Chorus, CERN-ECP <meinhard@afsmail.cern.ch>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/13/1995 18:32:44
I eventually succeeded to copy the tar files over from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/binary/, and to install them in
partitions that are intended to eventually become the root and /usr
partition of the system. In order to boot from that new root system, I'd
need a kernel. As a first guess, I copied /netbsd from Jonathan's
miniroot over, but the machine hung after displaying the line

init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11

(when booting from the miniroot, the next line displayed is
<date> init: /etc/spwd.db: No such file or directory).

Is there any working kernel with device support similar to the one in the
miniroot available anywhere which I could pick up? If not, where should I
pick up sources for a new kernel build, and how should I proceed?

Helge