Subject: generic kernel SCSI tape configuration
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/11/1995 08:59:01
"Helge MEINHARD, Chorus, CERN-ECP" <meinhard@afsmail.cern.ch>
writes:
> Is there any special meaning to the 'b'
>partition of the system disk assigned by the NetBSD kernel?

Have you tried doing a ``pstat -s'' to confirm that the kernel
isn't trying to swap on the B partition?

>Again nope... It's exactly the same with mount -r. The miniroot I'm using
>is the one dated May 31st, 1995, from gregorio.stanford.edu. I then tried
>with an Exabyte, but although the special files in /dev are there, the
>/netbsd kernel on the said miniroot does not seem to have tape support

I don't understand. There are tape in the configuration file for the
kernel on the miniroot (see below).  If someone wants to send me a
SCSI tape drive :), I can check them out ...

Maybe it's just that the device inodes are missing from /dev?

(taken from sys/arch/pmax/conf/GENERIC.pmax)

master		sii0	at nexus0 csr ?
  [...disks... at targets 0-4...]
tape		tz0	at sii0 drive 5 slave 0
tape		tz1	at sii0 drive 6 slave 0