Subject: Re: DS 5000/120: Unable to mount partitions
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Helge MEINHARD, Chorus, CERN-ECP <meinhard@afsmail.cern.ch>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/11/1995 11:39:13
Hi,

thanks for the reply. Sorry to bother you guys again and again...

> Try creating the 'b' partition with an offset of 16 blocks from the
> beginning of the disk.  That's probably why you're losing.  You may
> have blown away the disk label while newfsing, in which case you'll
> have to start over.  :'(
Nope... In fact, starting the 'b' partition at 0 offset did
(surprisingly?) not blow the superblock. I've been trying a few things,
among which defining an 'a' partition at the beginning just large enough
to hold the miniroot, and creating 'b' just behind, but even then 'b'
cannot be mounted ('device busy'). Is there any special meaning to the 'b'
partition of the system disk assigned by the NetBSD kernel?

> > and I can't seem to see any of the files. Needless to say that disklabel
> > reports some default values which do not reflect the real partitioning of
> > the disk.
>
> I thought the Ultrix disklabel code was already enabled, but maybe not
> in the February snapshot that Jonathan did.  :'( You may be able to
> win by doing a mount -r.  NetBSD doesn't entirely like mounting Ultrix
> partitions, and I seem to recall having similar trouble last time I
> mounted one read/write.
Again nope... It's exactly the same with mount -r. The miniroot I'm using
is the one dated May 31st, 1995, from gregorio.stanford.edu. I then tried
with an Exabyte, but although the special files in /dev are there, the
/netbsd kernel on the said miniroot does not seem to have tape support
configured.

Any help greatly appreciated. Best regards,

Helge