Subject: Re: DS2100/install
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leslie Todd Masco <cactus@hks.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/04/1995 16:20:49
Do you have any other SCSI disks around?  The install is considerably
simpler if you have a third device -- it need only be 100MB.

The reason is that you'll need a disk to put the miniroot on and then
another to install a full root onto (unless you're happy blowing away
Ultrix.  I was, but it's not necesarily the most comfortable feeling
in the world).

Either Jonathon or Ted was working on an install procedure using
an artificially high starting point for the 'a' partition, but I'd
be very uncomfortable throwing a new label on to a disk I was booting
off of.

The procedure is basically:

	- using the ultrix disklabel, partition the disk for the miniroot
	   and install the miniroot with dd.  You'll need the bootblocks
	   to be in your /usr/mdec on the ultrix partition.

	- boot off of the miniroot and disklabel your final root device
	   and newfs it.  You'll likely need to use the MAKEDEV script
	   in /dev to generate your disk devices.

	- untar the full distribution on to the final root device.

You'll be able to convert ultrix partitions to NetBSD partitions by
first using disklabel to write the new label and then using fsck (read
the man page for the correct switch -- you'll want the latest version
of the fs that's mentioned) to convert the fs.

If you haven't been reading port-pmax for long, a significant backlog
is available via NNTP from nntp.hks.net as hks.lists.netbsd.port-pmax.
(By the way: is there any interest in a web archive?  It would be pretty
 trivial for me to set up, as I'm already doing it for the cypherpunks
 list).

Good luck,
--
Todd Masco     | If lots of smart people have failed to solve a problem, it
cactus@hks.net |  probably won't be solved soon. - Fundamental Tenet of Crypto