Subject: Re: Cannot boot genbsd
To: Martin Brennfleck <brma@krisal.physik.uni-karlsruhe.de>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/03/1995 14:25:35
> I have installed the binary system from NetBSD/arch/pmax/binary/ .
> The files are dated Jan 23.

That's the latest snapshot... :'(

> I grabbed sys.tar.gz from the NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src
> directory.  I even do not know if the file sys.tar.gz is the right
> one, or do I have to do get more files?

I think you should be able to build with just that.

> I do not know, how to configure the kernel and how to make it.  In
> which Directory have I to untar the file(s), where have I to call
> make, do I have any options to pass?

Untar it wherever it's convenient.  The usual location is
/usr/src/sys, but you can put it somewhere else if you want.  Cd to
.../arch/pmax/conf and find a kernel configuration that's close to
what you're running (probably GLUTTON) and change a copy of it to
match your configuration.  Then type ``config YOUR_CONFIG'' (where
YOUR_CONFIG is the name of the modified config file).  If this
completes with no errors, type ``cd ../compile/YOUR_CONFIG'' and
``make depend; make''.

> Do I have to use a certain version of the compiler ...

The version in the January 23 snapshot will work.

> I'd be very greatfull (is greatfull a proper word in that sense?)

Close enough.   It's actually grateful, but your use of the word was
exactly right.

> if you find once again the time to answer me.
> Thank you and bye

You're welcome.   Feel free to ask more questions later!

			       _MelloN_