Subject: vi and TERM
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Mandrell <jon@amc.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/29/1995 10:15:38
I managed to get my 3100 clear up to multi-user mode, and then logged in as
root to do some final tweaking.  So what do I need to set the environment
variable TERM to so that it will work on the bare console?  I'm not on a
terminal, but on the 3100 monitor and keyboard.
  I can bring up other vi's without a TERM variable, and get a funky
single-line mode, but it appears that the netbsd version of vi doesn't
support this.  That's kind of a shame, since it was a good way to get support
for most any terminal you could find.

  I also unpacked the etc.tar.gz from ftp.netbsd.org, and it created an
/etc/fstab that didn't set up /usr as rw, but rather as xx.  This caused
the fsck -p to ignore that partition, and it didn't get mounted during
the boot process for going to multi-user.  I changed the 'xx' to 'rw',
and it then came up just fine.

  During the process of coming up, timed is dumping core.  Is this a known
problem?

  I also brought the machine up on my network, and mounted another disk
as follows:
	ifconfig le0 128.14.200.10
	mount_nfs 128.14.200.1:/disk1 /mnt
and I can see the directories under /mnt, but when I copy things, I get
quite a few 'bad packet' errors from the kernel.  Things come across the
link OK, just with lots of retries.  Did I miss something?

  Thanks for the help.