Subject: Re: New bunch of problems with pmax
To: None <jfch@jfch.vc.cvut.cz>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/22/1995 10:48:57
> 1) It seems that swap works no more. I have machine with 32 M ram
>    200 M swap.  It is very easy to overflow the memory.

I don't believe that swap has ever worked, although I'd be very
interested in evidence to the contrary.   I haven't had time to go in
and figure this one out - if you want to, please be my guest.   I will
get to it eventually, but not as soon as I'd like.

> 2) I have only serial console. It works fine in single user mode,
>    but not in multiuser.  All my changes to /etc/terms was w/o
>    success.

There's a bug in the SCC driver.  There may also be one in the DEC
UART driver.   I don't think that whatever's wrong with it is terribly
hard - it's just sufficiently hairy that none of those of us who are
affected by it have spent the day or so it would take sitting down and
poring over the code looking for the problem.   I think it's something
to do with cooked line disciplines, because it works fine for SLIP
(modulo silo overflows, anyway).

> 3) There are 3 configs config config.old config.new, which of them
> is the right now?

Config.old.   Config.new should be gone.

> > 4) I'm using elf gcc/as -  are there available sources of that tools?

GCC version 2.7.0 should work when it comes out, which should be
pretty soon.   I've been working with Jim Wilson to get my changes
integrated, and I was able to cleanly bootstrap the latest snapshot.

I can give you the sources to binutils and gdb that I used to build
the existing toolchain.   The diffs haven't been integrated into the
master sources, although Arne Juul has made some changes to recent
snapshots that seem to work pretty well.   I should get to this pretty
soon.

> 5) Is there any debugger working?

GDB works on core dumps, but seems to have been broken by changes to
ptrace that I haven't caught up with.   This probably isn't hard to
fix, but it's not at the top of my stack yet.

> 6) What about shareable (elf-pic) libraries?, works somebody on it?,
>    What missing (cc, as, ld, kernel, libc)?

Any research you can do in this direction would be appreciated.   I
haven't had time to look into it in a while, and when last I looked,
the GNU toolchain was not yet up to it.

> 7) I'm planing to buy a graphical adapter to my dec 5000/240, what
>    is the choice of supported adapters?

All of the relatively dumb framebuffers should work.   The accelerated
framebuffers don't work, except for the Smart Framebuffer (PMAGB-BA),
which is what I'm working on right now, and which works pretty well
for me.   I haven't integrated the changes for SFB support yet, but
will soon.

> 8) I've succesfuly built bash-1.14.4. Diff & bin
>    can be found in  ftp://ftp.cvut.cz/pub/bsd/NetBSD-pmax/didusWare/*

Thanks!

			       _MelloN_