Subject: New bunch of problems with pmax
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jfch@jfch.vc.cvut.cz>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/22/1995 13:09:33
I have rebult my pmax machine, got new sup, relinked kernel, relabeled boot disc.
Recompiled some programs. And I've got a bunch of new problems.

1) It seems that swap works no more. I have machine with 32 M ram 200 M swap.
   It is very easy to overflow the memory.

Vmstat shows (idle machine in multiuser):

 procs   memory     page                    disks         faults      cpu
 r b w   avm   fre  flt  re  pi  po  fr  sr r0 r1 ?2 ?3   in   sy  cs us sy id
 1 0 0 30716  9084  112  39   1   0   0   0  2  7  0  0  202  121 119  9 18 73
       ^^^^^

I use swap on /dev/rz1b, kernel has correct definitions, fstab seems to be
ok also. When I manualy do swapon -a (or /dev/rz1b - same), the slice is busy.
Rc's swapon works w/o errors. All pretends to work, but  perhaps it doesn't,
or I'm haven't understood the vmstat and machine memory usage. (2 x gcc = overkill)

2) I have only serial console. It works fine in single user mode, but not in multiuser.
   All my changes to /etc/terms was w/o success.

3) There are 3 configs config config.old config.new, which of them is the right now?

> 4) I'm using elf gcc/as -  are there available sources of that tools?

5) Is there any debuger working?

6) What about shareable (elf-pic) libraries?, works somebody on it?, What missing (cc,
   as, ld, kernel, libc)?

7) I'm planing to buy a graphical adapter to my dec 5000/240, what is the choice
   of supported adapters?

8) I've succesfuly built bash-1.14.4. Diff & bin
   can be found in  ftp://ftp.cvut.cz/pub/bsd/NetBSD-pmax/didusWare/*

	With best regards
		Jan F. Chadima

|                 ing. Jan F. Chadima           | The Master of Didus Ineptus.|
|       Zikova 4        |        Korycanska 367 | tel: 42-2-24352997 (office) |
|160 00 Praha 6 Dejvice | 181 00 Praha 8 Cimice | Email: jfch@vc.cvut.cz      |
|       CZECH REPUBLIC  |        CZECH REPUBLIC |                             |