Subject: Re: cross compilation, part II
To: Arne Henrik Juul <arnej@phys.unit.no>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/11/1995 09:15:32
> Ted, could yuo please send me the sources to elf2aout?
It's on its way.

> Also if you have any patches to binutils I would like to see them
> very much.

I do, but they won't work on a current snapshot.  :'(   JTC beat me to
the punch in installing some very similar changes.   The gcc changes
should be in 2.7.0 when it comes out (pretty soon, from what I hear).
I'll try to merge the other changes back into a more current tree and
get that out soon.   I'm very glad to hear that you're having as much
success as you are - nice going!

> One minor annoyance: install expects 'strip' to do update-in-place.
> GNU strip doesn't do this, so the net effect is that the file is
> correctly installed/stripped but with wrong permissions and owner/group.
> I'll probably just make a shell script wrapper for strip for now.

GNU strip didn't work for me at all.   I wound up turning it into a
no-op, which is why the binary distribution is so big.

> An unrelated problem: Some times inetd will (seemingly) stop working.
> The console works fine (running a make, probably) but telnet/ftp etc
> will get 'Connected to' etc but nothing more. Anyone else see this?

I've seen this too, but not often enough yet to form any theory as to
what's happening.   :'(

			       _MelloN_