Subject: Changing over kernels
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leslie Todd Masco <cactus@hks.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/04/1995 21:41:41
By the way, there's something that I've been meaning to mention that
occurs when you change over to a recent kernel.  I've seen it happen
on two machines (out of the 4 2100s I have running NetBSD now),
only once per machine.

Soon after changing over from a pre-clean bit fs kernel (usually
on the next reboot), fsck reports that the super block is bad
(values disagree with first alternate).  Fsck asks if it can use
the first alternate, you say "yes", and then the machine lives
happily ever after.

I wanted to report this so that 1) hackers know about it, and
2) people don't panic if they see it.  Say "yes" and life will continue
normally.

	-- Todd