Subject: Re: Summary of src/lib make
To: Leslie Todd Masco <cactus@hks.net>
From: James MacKinnon <jmack@Phys.UAlberta.Ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/02/1995 08:48:37
On Tue, 2 May 1995, Leslie Todd Masco wrote:

> Okay, a synopsis of problems while compiling lib.  (Should I generate diffs
> for these or just assume that the right people will take care of them?)
>
>         - in csu/mips:
>
>                 - Makefile gcrt0.o line doesn't actually make gcrt0.o,
>                         ${CC} line needs "-o gcrt0.o"
>
>         - in libc/arch/mips/sys
>
>                 - sbrk.S and brk.S both need the #include "SYS.h" line
>                         moved to below the CVS declaration string.

To be more specific, The include must come BEFORE (instead of after):

#if defined(LIBC_SCCS) && !defined(lint)...
        ASMSTR("from: @(#)brk.s 8.1 (Berkeley) 6/4/93")

since SYS.h has the def for ASMSTR()

>         - Throughout libc:
>
>                 - "bfd assertion fail elfcode.h:6442"  Huh?  Couldn't
>                   find an elfcode.h anywhere.  Though this appears on
>                   many compilations, it doesn't seem to affect the
>                   compile overall.  What is this?

I saw this earlier (when I only had 8 MB of ram. I assume that bdf stands
for something like 'block file descriptor' - probably a VM issue. You
could re-boot to re-gain memory lost through a leak (perhaps increasing
kern.maxvnodes with sysctl may help too).

> Other than that, a complete build of src/lib went flawlessly (where it
> hadn't been a week or so ago)!   A build
> of bin,sbin,usr.sbin,and usr.bin worked before I compiled the new libraries,
> too.

I had problems with tsort when building libc.a (got a segmentation error).
I had to manually do a	'ar cq libc.a `lorder *.o | tsort` to get it done.

> By the way, all of the libraries and all of the binaries built for me
> without a single crash.  I'm very impressed (not to mention very
> happy).

Ditto by me too! The only thing odd with the new kernel is on boot it
needed a re-compiled version of fsck to really mark the partition clean.

Cheers,
--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Department of Physics        Voice : (403) 492-8226