Subject: Quick summary of steps to bootstrap
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leslie Todd Masco <cactus@hks.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/13/1995 19:09:15
Okay, this is a quick summary of how I got the full distribution up and
running.  I'll fill it out later and make it a real installation guide.

First, it required two disks and an Ultrix system on each of them.  One
person I've corresponded with is beginning to believe that one must
begin with both disks ultrix.  I'll be doing some experimentation to
see whether I experience the same thing, but at the moment it's not
clear.

- Disk 1 had the full Ultrix (4.4, any 4.2+ should do) installation.  I
booted with that.

- I created a prototype disk description from the sample with disklabel
for disk 0 conforming to its ultrix partitioning.  I then unloaded
the entire set of binaries on to rz0g.

- I then disklabelled and minirooted rz0 with netbsd, being careful
that the netbsd partition rz0d conformed to the ultrix partition rz0g.

- Booting off of rz(0,0,0)netbsd, I mounted /dev/rz0d on /mnt, moved
/usr to /usr.old, and put in a symlink from /usr to /mnt/usr.

- I converted /dev/rz0d to the netbsd ufs, using fsck -c 2.

- After I made perfectly certain that I could mount nfs and the like
 with the bootable disk 0 setup, I disklabelled disk 0, the Ultrix
 disk, and put the miniroot on it.

- I then booted rz(0,1,0)netbsd and mounted /dev/rz0d on /mnt, moving
/usr, etc., as above.

- I then newfs'd /dev/rz0a, mounted it on /a and tar'd everything
 outside of /mnt/usr in  /mnt on to the drive.  I also MAKEDEV'd the
 devices in /a/dev (it won't boot w/out this).

That left me with a 64MB root partition and a workable /usr partition.

This is probably not the best path to installation (mount_nfs should
really make it into the next miniroot: I might try to produce one
later that includes a little more headroom as well), but it should
give those who've asked me a little guidance.

	-- Todd