Subject: Re: Tcsh on pmax
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@isds.Duke.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/13/1995 15:08:12
Charles M. Hannum writes:

 > It's quite likely that csh is running in local line editing mode,
 > whereas tcsh is running in binary mode.  Thus, in the latter, you have
 > a round-trip delay as you type.  This is just an artifact of using
 > SLIP, and is not specific to NetBSD at all.

Except that when running tcsh (version 6.05, same init files) on the
exact same pair of machines (NetBSD 1.0 486 --> SLIP@14.4 --> DS3100)
it makes quite a bit of difference if the DECstation is running NetBSD
or Ultrix 4.3a.

Under Ultrix, the difference between tcsh & csh is barely noticeable.
Under NetBSD, its quite obvious.  I'm about to buy a 28.8 modem
anyway, so I'm not too worried about it.  Just thought it might be
indicative of a larger problem...

Drew